Playing PS4 on your PC or Mac laptop computer is now possible using an emulator and some software, or you can even use two monitors if you don’t have access to a TV. You can use a computer monitor and any other device that supports HDMI.
If you are still looking for ways to play PS4 games on your laptop, read this guide to understand all these methods available in detail, so you can get started immediately.
The Benefits of Playing PS4 Games on Your Computer
There are many benefits of playing PS4 games on your computer, including the following:
- You will enjoy higher graphics quality since most gaming laptops come with powerful GPUs capable of running high-end video games smoothly.
- You can use any controller, including an Xbox 360 controller or DualShock 4 controller.
- Using your laptop as a monitor for PS4 games is much cheaper than buying a PlayStation 4 console and TV set.
Methods for Playing PS4 Games on Your Computer
There are two main methods for playing PS4 games on your computer: an emulator and software that supports dual monitors.
1. Using An Emulator
An emulator is a software or hardware that imitates a gaming console. One emulator available allows you to play PS4 games on your laptop is RPCS4. It’s a free, open-source PlayStation 4 emulator, which you can download from its official website. The only downside of using RPCS4 is that it doesn’t work very well with laptops yet, so you will need at least mid-tier hardware to run it smoothly.
2. Using Dual Monitors
If you don’t have access to an emulator, you can use dual monitors to play PS4 games on your laptop. It’s probably your best bet if you are looking for an alternative method of playing PS4 games on your computer since it requires no special software and works with any device that supports HDMI or VGA output.
How to Set Up Dual Monitors
You will need at least two displays: one monitor, which will be used as your primary display (i.e., as your gaming screen), and another, which will be used as a secondary display (i.e., as a TV).
1) Connect both displays to your computer using HDMI or VGA cables.
2) Configure both displays to appear on one desktop instead of two separate desktops.
3) If you are using Windows 10, go to Settings > System > Display and set your primary display as Extend and secondary display as Duplicate.
If you are using an older version of Windows, then you will need to follow these steps:
- Right-click on your desktop and select Screen Resolution from the menu.
- Next, right-click on your primary monitor and select Make This My Main Monitor.
- Then right-click on your second monitor and choose Extend Desktop onto This Monitor.
4) Open up RPCS4 or any other PS4 emulator you have downloaded onto your computer.
5) Go to Settings > Video and set your video resolution as 1280×720 (or higher).
6) Click Apply, then click OK, then click Start. You can now play PS4 games on your laptop.
Will the PS4 Run Smoothly on a Laptop?
In general, most laptops today are powerful enough that playing PS4 games will be playable, even if it means dialing back some of their settings for smoother performance. If you’re having trouble running your favorite PS4 games smoothly, here are some things you can do:
Check Your Laptop’s Specifications
Ensure that it meets or exceeds expectations for each game. Most modern gaming laptops should have no problem meeting those requirements. Still, if you have an older machine with integrated graphics or a laptop from several years ago, you may run into problems with specific titles.
Lower your screen resolution
While PS4 games look great at 1080p, you can usually get away with running them at 720p or lower and still have an enjoyable experience.
Turn off V-Sync in games
Turning it off will allow you to get higher frame rates at lower resolutions by allowing frames to be displayed out of sync with their respective refresh rate. That is, instead of waiting until a monitor has finished its refresh cycle before displaying new frames, turning off V-Sync allows them to be displayed as soon as they are ready).
Turn off In-game Anti-aliasing
You may use your video card’s driver settings instead (if available). Anti-aliasing can be very demanding on your graphics card, so if you have trouble running games smoothly at their highest settings, turning it off may help.
If you own one of these laptops or have any other compatible with either OS X or Linux and are looking for an enjoyable way to play PS4 games, it’s worth trying out. With SteamOS being accessible and offering excellent compatibility, you get access to PC gaming and PS4 gaming if you want it.